This year’s Nutcracker auditions will only be held for Company Artists. Ballet Chelsea will not be holding a Guest Artist audition this year. Additionally, Ballet Chelsea may not be able to offer all auditioning dancers a role in the production due to this year’s COVID Nutcracker, which will be streamlined to adhere to social distancing requirements. This audition is for a digital recording and possible live performances of the Nutcracker. Rehearsals will be held on Saturdays, at the Chelsea Fairground facility from September 12 through October 16 or until we can return to our studios.
Artists should think carefully about the commitment and make the best possible individual decision about whether to audition. Artists who decide to audition must pre-register in the BC portal. The registration fee is $15.
AUGUST 22, 2020: Performance Company Auditions
Registration opens August 11, 2020 @ 8:00am
Pre-registration will be REQUIRED prior to August 22, 2020 through Ballet Chelsea’s online portal to ensure Ballet Chelsea’s ability to maintain proper social distancing. Available audition times are noted below.
Dancers / parents MUST fill out the above audition registration form (fillable PDF) prior to their audition and email it to Jean Delwiche at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please title your email with (Dancers Name) Nutcracker Audition Form. The completed will be kept online in the parent portal.
Dancers auditioning for the Professional Trainee Program (PTP) are required to answer the questions located at the bottom of the registration form in a personal statement and email it to Artistic Director, and Jean Delwiche at email@example.com. Wendi DuBois at firstname.lastname@example.org, and Jean Delwiche at email@example.com.
Audition Information / Requirements
Prior to your audition on August 22, 2020
- Pre-registration is required through Ballet Chelsea’s online portal so that social distancing can be maintained.
- All dancers must complete a 2020/21 Audition Registration Form available HERE. This form must be completed prior to August 20, 2020 and sent to Jean Delwiche at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please title your email with (Dancers Name) Nutcracker Audition Form. The completed will be kept online in Ballet Chelsea’s online parent portal.
- All dancers must complete a Ballet Chelsea Covid 19 Health and Safety Student Policy Agreement prior to their audition. If you attended Ballet Chelsea’s Summer Dance Intensive you have already complete this form and do not need to do it again. For everyone else, the form is available HERE.
At your audition on August 22, 2020
- Ballet Chelsea’s 2020 auditions for The Nutcracker will take place at the Chelsea Fairgrounds.
- Dancers should arrive 15 minutes before their scheduled audition to check in.
- Dancers are encouraged to warm-up prior to their audition as additional space will be limited.
- Female dancers should wear a simple, solid color leotard, pink tights, and pink shoes.
- Female dancers over age 11 should bring pointe shoes.
- Men should wear a white shirt, black tights and white or black shoes.
- ALL dancers will be required to wear a mask while at the fairgrounds.
- Audition fee: $15
Available Audition Times
Pre-registration will be REQUIRED prior to August 22, 2020 through Ballet Cheslsea’s online portal to ensure Ballet Chelsea’s ability to maintain proper social distancing. Registration opens August 11, 2020 @ 8:00am.
10:00-10:45 – Ages 9-11
11:00-11:45 – Ages 11-13
12:00-12:45 – Ages 14 & up
1:00-1:45 – Break
2:00-2:45 – Ages 14 & up
3:00-3:45 – Ages 14 & up
4:00-4:45 – Ages 14 & up
- Dancers are eligible to become Performance Company Artists from age 9 through high school graduation.
- In order to adhere with social distancing protocols Ballet Chelsea will not be holding Associate Artist guest auditions for this years production of The Nutcracker.
- All dancers who participate in Ballet Chelsea’s The Nutcracker are required to be enrolled in weekly ballet classes approved by the Artistic Director.
- PTP Company Artist, ages 14 & up: $150.00
- Senior Company Artist, ages 13 & up: $150.00
- Junior Company Artist, ages 9-12: $100.00
Additional details can be found on our Company Requirements page.
Professional Trainee Program
Ballet Chelsea provides professional caliber training to individuals who wish to pursue a serious dance education. The Professional Trainee Program aids dancers in achieving personal dance related goals whether the intent is the pursuit of a post high school career, furtherance of education in a college dance program or a lifelong enjoyment of dance on a recreational level. The skills gained through the Professional Trainee Program will help dancers find success in their field of choice through the development of a work ethic, the pursuit of specific goals and the honing of skills needed to achieve individual goals.
Also see: Performance Company Requirements
As Potter Center remains closed due to the pandemic, we cannot get substantive information about the December 12 & 13 performances at this time. Ballet Chelsea’s CHS Nutcracker dates, Dec. 5 & 6, remain reserved for a performance opportunity if allowed.
October: TBA Filming of the Nutcracker for holiday sharing.
December 5 & 6 POSSIBLE performances at CHS
December 12 & 13 POSSIBLE performances at Potter Center.
A downloadable PDF of this years audition information. Important dates, fees, and registration.